Saturday, October 9, 2010

On mental health and public acceptance

In the mid 80's I suffered from what seemed to me to be severe depression. . I had lost touch with God, and nearly every person on earth. I found that telling people about it, even people I felt loved me and could help, brought surprisingly even more depressing results. Almost without exception, people changed the subject. For a while, I felt that no one cared if I lived or died since seemed to want to help. I eventually did realize that no one could help- except God. At that point, I went and sat in my bedroom and prayed like I had never prayed before, and literally felt Jesus reach a hand out to me. I didn't get well right away. It was uphill from there, but at least no longer downhill. I think a large part of how I'd gotten there was feeling bogged down with work, not taking care of myself, and in general, "failure to communicate" at a family and marital level.

Anyway, the reason I am writing about this today is I found this link and thought it was very relevant. How true that if you have pneumonia or the flu your friends and relatives will bring you food so you don't have to cook, they will come sit with you, and generally help out any way they can. Not so if  you are depressed. How ironic that at this time, you are so unable to do things for yourself, much like if you had pneumonia or some other deadly disease. Depression, schizophrenia, anxiety attacks, and so many other disorders can also be deadly diseases, but people are either afraid of having to solve their problem or worse yet, they think the person is "malingering".

I am asking anyone who reads this, to care enough about anyone you suspect is having an episode of whatever kind of mental health issue- and ask if there is anything you can do to help. Ask if they would like someone to just listen, and be there. If so, and you choose to listen.... accept what they are able to tell you- you may be the only person they will get the chance to ventilate or speak to about their difficulty.  Most times, that's the thing that a person with depression, or anxiety needs most. Someone to listen, and accept them, and validate them as a good person. No one needs to be ashamed of having diabetes, heart disease, pneumonia, etc.... and neither should they feel ashamed of suffering from depression or any other disorder.

No comments: