Saturday, January 24, 2009

Choosing Life-- being "Life Giving"

I've been thinking a lot about Thursday's March For Life. My sign that I carried said "We Choose Life". Multiple things have occurred to me about Choosing Life. One is that we can cause a little death in the hearts of those we love when we are sarcastic, when we do not choose to reinforce the goodness in them. We cause a little death when we don't let them know how much God loves them not to mention how much WE love them.

I am a firm believer that the greatest problems in this world (terrorism, crime, loneliness, etc.) are a result of people not knowing how much they are loved, first and foremost by our all Loving God and of course, by their parents and other family members. No one can even imagine the extent of God's immense love for each of us. It is just beyond our human comprehension. I know He loves me, and it's comforting to me to know that I cannot even begin to imagine the vastness of his love for me. We can think about in this way-- the love of a parent for his child is usually endless. Most parents feel that they would die for their children if they were endangered. God loves us so much, that He DID die for us-- he allowed Himself to be nailed to a cross and He died because we were endangered. God loves us INFINITELY-- there are no limits to the love that God has for us.

How do we begin to spread the knowledge of that love to others? It seems to me that we can do it primarily by loving others ourselves, and doing whatever we can to bring comfort to them, and then taking whatever chance we can get to talk about how much God loves each one of us.

No comments: